Archives for: March 2008
So that's what day it is....
6:30 am - I'm laying in the bathtub, trying to convince myself that it really is in my best interests to finish bathing, get ready, and go to work. As I lay there, eyes closed, trying to browbeat myself into forsaking my watery haven, the sound of birdsong, sweet and cheerful, filters into my awareness, and I remember, it's the first day of Spring!
8:15 am - I'm running a little later than I would like on my way to work. Kid has had Spring Break this week, so both the children have spent the week at my folks' place. I always think I have more time than I actually do when the children aren't home, so I invariably find myself running behind, all the while thinking, "I KNOW I had more time than that!" As I turn to hurry down the steps, I notice tightly furled, tiny green shoot poking up from my tulip bed, and then I remember, it's the first day of Spring!
1:30 pm - I need to run over to the other building to pick up some items, and out of habit (habit born of a long, cold winter) I cut through the warehouse to minimize my exposure to the elements. Unfortunately, the warm sun on the door makes it expand, and stick, effectively cutting off my escape that direction. Disgruntled, I backtrack and start over. As I step out the front door into the parking lot, the warm sun bathes me in a friendly glow, the perfect compliment to the light cool breeze, and then I remember, it's the first day of Spring!
8:15 pm - I step out into the church parking lot, following an interesting and meaningful Maundy Thursday service. It's only moderately chilly, and bird song still fills the air. When I take a deep breath, the cool evening air smells of growing things and new life, and THEN I remember:
It's the first day of Spring!
Permalink 03/17/08 08:11:31 pm
Mama always said, "Life is like a box of chocolates...." -Forrest Gump
Except that I went and ate all the good ones, and left y'all with an empty box for over a month.
So, yeah. I haven't been around much, and I've got no one to blame but me. But here's a quick synopsis!
1) New Baby! No, not mine. A coworker recently adopted a gorgeous baby boy, after a long time on the adoption waiting list. We are all incredibly excited for her!
2) New Responsibilities. Of course, with one person gone from a very small office, that means that the rest of us are working pretty hard to keep up! I'm very quickly remembering why I never made a career in sales.
3) New Experiences. Yesterday, against my better judgement, I went and played paintball with my husband and a couple of teenage boys. I had predicted several, "what in the name of little green apples was I thinking" moments, but really, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I have about six perfectly round, delightfully purple bruises that range from not hurting at all to feeling like I've been whacked with a big stick. (Well, I'm assuming there are six. I wasn't about to shave my head just to confirm that big lump on the back of my head.)
4) New Toys. I've gone and joined the 21st Century with an actual cell phone that does things other than make phone calls. Of course, I opted for something fairly ordinary, reasoning that I didn't actually need the one with the full slide-out keyboard, (even if it was my favorite, bronzy-orange color) because I never do that much texting. I've since discovered that when I have unlimited texting, I'm sort of a texting fiend.
5) New Worries. Lion's father is experiencing some health difficulties, and is having a lot of testing done, which is always worrisome.
6) New Hats. That's just like it sounds. I have two new hats, one evoking the Roaring Twenties, the other the late seventies.
Which is all fairly apropo of absolutely nothing. Yes, I'm busy. I work, I come home, I do thing for the kids, rush off to other commitments, etc. Just like everyone else.
I am very excited that Spring seems to be nosing the door open, making sure that Winter isn't going to whack it on the head with a broom before it comes on in. It's okay, Spring, nobody's going to hurt you! I won't let mean Old Man Winter take another shot at you.
So anyhow, my apologies for the long absence! I promise, I should be entertaining again soon, once my brain unfreezes enough to get going!